While our Knitty Kitty knits are machine washable, we recommend minimal washing, as all knits will naturally wear from friction. If you choose not to wash your sweater by hand but instead use your washing machine then follow the following instructions.
- Spray any stains with stain removal spray. Consider using a stain remover like OxiClean Versatile or Shout Advanced on any stains you see before putting the sweater in the washing machine.
- Place your sweater in a mesh laundry bag. If you don’t have a laundry bag then just don’t crowd the load of laundry with a full load.
- Choose the gentlest cycle. On your washing machine, turn the knob or press the button to select the cycle called “wool,” “hand-wash,” or “delicate.” If there is no delicate cycle option, choose the shortest cycle available. This will help prevent damage to your sweater from a rough wash cycle.
- Set the washing machine to cold water.
- Roll, don’t wring. After washing, roll excess water in a dry towel. Even squeezing or wringing out water from the sweater may cause stretching so rolling the piece in a towel is best.
- Lay flat to dry on a dry towel on top of your washing machine. Come back in a day or so and it will be ready to wear again.
- Do not machine dry unless you want to risk shrinking your sweater. If you do want to tighten or shrink your sweater a little bit you can try to put your knit piece in the dryer: Dry your sweater on low heat for only 5 to 10 minutes. After the sweater has been washed, put it in the dryer for a few minutes to remove any stiffness. Choose the low heat option to minimize any shrinkage. After 5-10 minutes, remove the sweater from the dryer.